Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Exercise at Dawn

Yesterday when we were touring the temples and markets at sunrise we noticed some older people exercising in a square near the gate to the inner city. Just before dawn this morning I went there to join in. On the way the monks were roaming the streets in a rainbow of saffron and bare feet with chanting on the air.
When I arrived at the square they had just begun. I indicated that I would like to join in with gestures and smiles. It was the most beautiful exercise, somewhere between Tai Chi and a morning stretch, all done to the most wonderful music. The people were mostly older to elderly Chinese Thais. I went to the back row where I could see the instructor but wouldn't distract anyone. I had the good luck to be behind a man who was very graceful and knew his stuff so between he and the instructor I managed to keep up.
As new people joined in I kept moving towards the back, still worried I might distract everyone. Luckily I had done Tai Chi for years which helped me with the hand movements.
At the end I neared the instructor and gave him a wai which is a simple prayer like palms together gesture. I love the gesture but sometimes think I might insult people because there is a whole etiquette about it. The hands must be held at different heights depending on the standing of the person, for instance to a monk they would be almost in front of the forehead but for an equal around your nose.
As I walked home the monks alms bowls were getting full of food, dawn had broken and the hustle and bustle of daily life had begun.

No comments: