Monday, January 18, 2010

Mannequins







We apent some time in the colonial city of Battambang, Cambodia. It's about 2 hours from the Thai border. It was the typical story in that we didn't like it there at first but grew to like it more each day. My friend Cindy always says if you don't lke a place it's usually because you didn't stay long enough and I have really found that to be true.
This city was a bit spooky at night because there were no street lights and most of the businesses closed before dark. We had to walk quite away to the area where the restaurants were in the dark. I guess I haven't talked much yet about the sidewalks in asia have I? It's downright a health risk! The sidewalks are uneven, the curbs can be over a foot high, smooth and at a 45 degree angle. If you step on one you can slide and fall. The sidewalks can be smooth tile like cement or rough tarmac. They can be great for a block and on the next block non-existent, or change in the middle of a block. Then there's the garbage everywhere which makes walking in the dark freaky! The other thing is that makes them a hazzard is that they are almost always obstructed! Light poles in the middle of them, cement structures that you don't have a clue what they are and lots of stores and restaurants use the sidewalks. I usually am really careful but right now I have a huge bruise above my knee because I walked straight into the bolt that comes off a firehydrant. youch! It hurt so much my eyes started pouring tears. the weird thing was it happened in a very busy touristed sidewalk in Phnom Penh and the hydrant was in the middle of the sidewalk.
Back to Battambang....while walking to eat one evening we found this street that sold clothing and there were all these cool mannequins which we couldn't resist taking pictures of. I knew our friends Brandon and Jo would love them!

No comments: